- 1 Entomology Relating to flies of the order Diptera: dipterous larvaeMore example sentences
- In The Fly, protagonist Seth Brundle undergoes a dipterous metamorphosis that begins to change his voice.
- The feeding tunnels and oviposition punctures of dipterous miners are unsightly and objectionable in crops destined for market.
- In attempts to reduce the vegetable growers dependence on insecticides for controlling root-feeding dipterous pests a concerted effort has been made to develop alternative control measures.
late 18th century: from modern Latin dipterus (from Greek dipteros 'two-winged') + -ous.
More definitions of dipterousDefinition of dipterous in:
- The US English dictionary