A large extinct wolf of the Pleistocene epoch, which preyed on large mammals.
- Canis dirus, family Canidae
More example sentences
- Among this group, the extinct dire wolf (a giant relative of living wolves) claimed the most powerful bite force relative to its size.
- Against the blue of a mountain range - the same profile of peaks I could see from Grandview - were vultures, mammoths, dire wolves, La Brea camels, saber-toothed cats, and giant ground sloths.
- The figures at the top left and bottom right are dire wolves, extinct relatives of wolves and dogs.
dire in the sense 'threatening', translating the modern Latin taxonomic name.
Definition of dire wolf in:
- The US English dictionary