nounchiefly North American
- another term for direct speech.More example sentences
- The direct discourse of the novel's black speech community and the initial standard English of the narrator come together to form a third term, a truly double-voiced narrative mode.
- From this point on, Bontemps does not return to a communal free direct discourse, but instead intersperses individual interior monologues with direct narration and direct discourse.
- Verse 11 is a narrative reference to the angel standing on the right side of the altar of incense; v 19 is direct discourse in which the angel identifies himself as Gabriel, the one who stands in the presence of God.
More definitions of direct discourseDefinition of direct discourse in:
- The US English dictionary