Definition of directory in English:
noun (plural directories)
1A book or website listing individuals or organizations alphabetically or thematically with details such as names, addresses, and telephone numbers.
- I go down to the MHS library and begin looking at the 1912 city directories, alphabetical listings of people, their addresses, and occupations.
- The directory, besides listing details about its members, has several other user-friendly features.
- Even media businesses or services without a web presence can benefit from having their details listed in the directory.
1.1A board in an organization or large store listing names and locations of departments, individuals, etc.
- There's a store directory over there.
- I heard giggling from behind the directory board as I left with Sam, and I knew it was Katie.
- Mr Masri also says that the CCC logo was on display alongside CCUK's name on the company directory inside the entrance to CCUK's offices.
1.2 Computing A file which consists solely of a set of other files (which may themselves be directories).
- Though my home directory is encrypted, my data still may not be completely safe.
- Windows users' roaming user profiles also are stored in their home directories on the server.
- Of course you can delete your entire root directory with this approach if you so choose.
late Middle English (in the general sense 'something that directs'): from late Latin directorium, from director 'governor', from dirigere 'to guide'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan