Causing someone to lose confidence or enthusiasm; depressing: a discouraging experience
More example sentences
- The political environment is likely to be equally discouraging for Labour.
- The news from Albright over the satellite phone was discouraging.
- We are living, my dear friend, in a discouraging time.
- Example sentences
- Others, even more discouragingly, said the questions were simply unanswerable.
- For the most part, ticket prices remain either beyond the reach of, or discouragingly expensive for, ordinary workers and youth.
- The little boy stomped away, sat back down next to Daniel, and began to stare discouragingly down the road.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dis|cour¦aging
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.