- Causing someone to lose confidence or enthusiasm; depressing: a discouraging experienceMore example sentences
- The political environment is likely to be equally discouraging for Labour.
- The news from Albright over the satellite phone was discouraging.
- We are living, my dear friend, in a discouraging time.
- More example sentences
- Others, even more discouragingly, said the questions were simply unanswerable.
- For the most part, ticket prices remain either beyond the reach of, or discouragingly expensive for, ordinary workers and youth.
- The little boy stomped away, sat back down next to Daniel, and began to stare discouragingly down the road.