1The first person to find or explore a place.
- Some of the first pulsar planet discoveries were later retracted by their discoverers.
- The first discoverers of the Solomon Islands were the island peoples themselves.
- The discoverers of Mt Morgan, Qld, in 1882 were gamblers who searched where others passed by.
1.1The first person to find or observe a substance or scientific phenomenon: many chemical processes are named after their original discoverers
More example sentences
- In particular, she wants Matthew to be the discoverer of a form of infinite free energy.
- He, in fact, was the discoverer of the world's longest worm.
- In Germany around 1952, Otto Hahn, the discoverer of fission, was asked by reporters about the feasibility of fusion.
Words that rhyme with discovererrecoverer
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dis|cov¦er¦er
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.