verb[with object] Mathematics
- Represent or approximate (a quantity or series) using a discrete quantity or quantities.More example sentences
- To solve such equations we must retreat to discrete steps and computations, and sometimes the continuous space itself must be discretized over a mesh before submission to a computing device.
- Ten categories appear to be sufficient for discretizing the integral over parameters.
- Approximations are made when the world is represented using continuous models (partial differential equations) and when these continuous models are discretized.
- More example sentences
- Analyses all required a planar mathematical discretization of a region containing a prescribed number of cells with prescribed orientations.
- For example, engineers use multigrid methods to analyze numeric properties of physical phenomena using a hierarchy of grid discretization.
- To improve the accuracy of that extrapolation, we place a high premium on finding improved algorithms that reduce discretization artifacts.
More definitions of discretizeDefinition of discretize in:
- The US English dictionary