Entry from US English dictionary
1A theme park in Anaheim, California, that opened in 1955.
From Walt Disney
- Zhu Yilin, vice-governor of Chongming County, has said the county government was ‘actively negotiating with the Shanghai government for a large theme park project, such as a Disneyland.’
- One keeps getting the feeling you are walking around a Disneyland Park.
- We could pool in for a Disneyland trip with all of us, her birthday is next week.
1.1A large, bustling place filled with colorful attractions.
- With all love and deference to my friends who are flying into NYC to walk under the saffron pleats, I find ‘The Gates’ a Disneyland for a cultural elite.
- Opening today, StalinWorld is surely the sickest and most tasteless theme park on earth - Alton Towers with genocide; a Disneyland of mass murder, deportations and torture.
1.2A place of fantasy or make-believe: their own think tank, their own Disneyland of future ideas [as modifier]: Disneyland conceptions of defense which have no genuine relevance
More example sentences
- But if these people think that getting rid of the needle exchange is going to turn Hollywood into a Disneyland with no homeless people or poverty, they're dreaming.
- I have no wish to live in some Disneyland of the mind and spirit, some Nirvana of utter null completeness.
- Today, Britain is the fourth largest contributor to this Disneyland of corruption.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.