noun[mass noun] Genetics
The condition of having a chromosome represented twice in a chromosomal complement.
- We found that the rate of chromosome I disomy among vik1 spores was indistinguishable from that observed in wild-type strains.
- It may be of interest to examine the sperm of men with different sized Y chromosomes to see whether there is a relationship between the level of sex chromosome disomy and Y chromosome size.
- Some cases of AS result from inheritance of both chromosomes in the 15 pair from the father, an unusual genetic phenomenon known as uniparental disomy.
- Example sentences
- Many polyploids, however, have disomic chromosome behavior.
- Over time, however, diploidization of the genome occurs and disomic segregation becomes prevalent.
- Given that cultivated peanut is a disomic polyploid, 20 linkage groups were expected.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: di¦somy
Definition of disomy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.