Definition of disparate in English:
- Hopefully the disparate threads will be able to come together in the fourth and last volume of the show.
- For us to succeed, it is essential for disparate groups to work together to achieve these common goals.
- He compartmentalises the disparate aspects of his life and shifts gears between them on the spot, rarely looking back.
- Its strength is not disavowed by its disparate and often contrary nature.
- But it has really hit a nerve with a disparate, diverse audience from all walks of life.
- We will have the most disparate and diverse opposition in the Dáil for nearly 50 years.
noun(disparates) archaic Back to top
- disparately adverb
- Example sentences
- And what in the world is the connection between those disparately eclectic events, I can hear folks asking from many and varied locations.
- I think it's the duty of any serious reader to read as widely and as disparately as they can.
- But schools cannot hide behind test scores; instead, they must also examine how policies and procedures disparately impact the recruitment of minority students.
- disparateness noun
- Example sentences
- But as any music critic will tell you, diversity and disparateness doesn't equal interesting stories.
- That Arthur's individuality emerges from the very disparateness of his internal ‘geography’ seems at odds with a concept of individuality that would emerge from within Williams's knowable community.
- This is not helped by the rather haphazard arrangement of images in the catalogue, edited by the show's curator, Jan Marsh, who admits that its disparateness is both a strength and weakness.
apparatus from early 17th century:
This is a Latin word, from apparare ‘make ready for’, from parare ‘make ready’. Other words going back to parare include disparate (Late Middle English), ‘prepared apart’; pare (Middle English); prepare (Late Middle English) ‘prepare in advance’; and separate (Late Middle English) from se- ‘apart’ and parare.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.