noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A reaction in which a substance is simultaneously oxidized and reduced, giving two different products.More example sentences
- Reactions in which atoms of the same element are both oxidized and reduced are disproportionation reactions.
- Three categories that encompass all these different redox reactions are atom transfer redox reactions, electron transfer reactions, and disproportionation reactions.
- This complex can lead to the formation of uncolored and colored dimers and/or revert back to the monomers in their ground state by disproportionation of the semiquinone radical.
More definitions of disproportionationDefinition of disproportionation in:
- The US English dictionary