Definition of disputatious in English:
Fond of having heated arguments: it’s a congenial hang-out for disputatious academics
More example sentences
- The various choral groups that continually comment upon and sometimes mix in with the action are now more in line with the disputatious aesthetic factions of the original, and all the better for it.
- She wasn't going to have a man trying to rule her, or upsetting her delicate balancing act with the disputatious factions of her court and council; nor would she have a son grow up to become a focus of opposition.
- Note for the disputatious: I make no comment on the 90-day proposal itself.
- Example sentences
- He disagreed with them when necessary, not disputatiously or contentiously, but with a desire to persuade.
- These were, of course, peak years for Abstract Expressionism, disputatiously called ‘action painting.’
- Each account differs wildly and quite disputatiously - and quite uniquely each of the principals insists that they were the one who conducted the murder.
- Example sentences
- Divine decrees are fulfilled with sullenness, bafflement or credulous compliance; the crew's disputatiousness adds to the reader's pleasure.
- Most of the political activity occurring outside that gilded realm must be cast as a periphery of delusion, extremism and industrial disputatiousness.
- Remarkably the literary product of such disputatiousness eventually became Scripture, that is, books with normative quality for the community.
Words that rhyme with disputatiousAthanasius, audacious, bodacious, cactaceous, capacious, carbonaceous, contumacious, Cretaceous, curvaceous, edacious, efficacious, fallacious, farinaceous, flirtatious, foliaceous, fugacious, gracious, hellacious, herbaceous, Ignatius, loquacious, mendacious, mordacious, ostentatious, perspicacious, pertinacious, pugnacious, rapacious, sagacious, salacious, saponaceous, sebaceous, sequacious, setaceous, spacious, tenacious, veracious, vexatious, vivacious, voracious
Definition of disputatious in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan