Definition of dissenter in English:
1A person who dissents.
- You see, it wasn't until I came out as a dissenter against certain policies of the left-wing political establishment that I learned what it is like to be on the ‘wrong side’ of an issue.
- After all, the First Amendment aims to protect the outsider, the dissenter, the protester: those without institutional protections.
- This was Kant's judicious way of amending Rousseau's notorious maxim, that, in a state founded on the social contract, the dissenter must be forced to be free.
1.1 (Dissenter) British historical A member of a non-established Church; a Nonconformist.
- Here the religious divisions that plagued English society, between churchmen, Dissenters, and papists, were presented in a peculiarly acute form.
- What to do with the growing number of dissenters, notably Quakers and Jews?
- Baptists and other dissenters could not take the simple way out by just not drinking tea.
Words that rhyme with dissenterassenter, cementer, centre (US center), concentre (US concenter), enter, eventer, fermenter (US fermentor), fomenter, frequenter, inventor, lamenter, magenta, placenta, polenta, precentor, presenter, preventer, repenter, tenter, tormentor
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.