- 1 • rare Discourse on a particular subject: we have dissertated on the church at AntiochMore example sentences
- In a letter to Dan in 1800, after scolding him for his 'Budget being empty far too soon', she dissertated on the life of Catherine the Great.
- On the strength of nostalgia I wonder if I dare dissertate about the days of outdoor toilets.
- Let me suppose, for example, that some modern 'Hobbes,' in dissertating on society at large, should malign mankind.
- 1.1Write a dissertation: he was working incredibly long hours and I was dissertating at Stanford, she dissertated on selfhood and storytellingMore example sentences
- I never got to ask what you'll be dissertating on.
- My major field is History of Science, and I plan to dissertate on the development of the development of Quantum Mechanics.
- I should send out a couple of "real" academic articles dealing with the stuff I actually dissertated on.
mid 18th century: from Latin dissertat-, from dissertare 'to continue to discuss'.