Definition of dissymmetry in English:
noun (plural dissymmetries)[mass noun]
1Lack of symmetry.
- Possibly the most significative feature of these models is the very basic importance of dissymmetries.
- Tariff dissymmetries are being exploited by a number of alternative calling procedures.
- The pattern of two Jewish authors to one Christian continues a legitimate and welcome dissymmetry in the book.
1.1 technical The symmetrical relation of mirror images, the left and right hands, or crystals with two corresponding forms.
- Enantiomorphs belong to a special class of symmetry that is actually closer to a dissymmetry: ‘the mirror image of [the crystal is] not superposable upon the crystal itself.’
- Barron now suggests extending the definition of chirality to include time-reversal as well as dissymmetry.
- Example sentences
- They showed this experimentally by irradiating the dissymmetric [Cr 3] 3 - (Cr tris-oxalato) complex with laser light in a very powerful magnetic field.
- Furthermore, the lack of an induced dichroic contribution by the fiuorene moiety, although absorbing strongly in this spectral region, indicates that the fluorophore is not significantly perturbed by the dissymmetric peptide chain.
- A molecule that is not symmetric - that is, a molecule without a plane of symmetry - is termed dissymmetric, or chiral.
- Example sentences
- Every symmetrical and dissymmetrical configuration of standing, sitting, reclining, bowing, looking up or down, or being reflected in mirrors is tried out by the mise en scène.
- The conditions of possibility for friendship are to be found in the idea of a de-distanced, dissymmetrical topology.
- To achieve the correct radiation pattern, each subarray must exhibit a dissymmetrical source excitation.
Definition of dissymmetry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan