Definition of distraction burglary in English:
An instance of gaining access to a property under false pretences, with the intention of committing theft: two thieves pretending to be from the Water Board have carried out a string of distraction burglaries in the area
More example sentences
- Clear links have been established between doorstep cold-calling and crimes such as distraction burglaries, where crooks con their way into someone's home under false pretences.
- A trial scheme in Cambridgeshire has cut the incidence of distraction burglaries by a ninth (11%) since it was set up two years ago.
- Police officers are also warning elderly people to be on their guard tonight because Halloween can be rife with people committing distraction burglaries.
distraction burglar noun
- Example sentences
- A total ban on all doorstep selling for property repairs will be the only sure way to protect older people from rogue traders and distraction burglars.
- Three distraction burglars were disturbed during an offence but still managed to escape with the money.
- He arrested a distraction burglar who targeted his neighbour's home.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India