- Causing anxiety, sorrow or pain; upsetting: some very distressing newsMore example sentences
- She had a good point about speaking up in a distressing situation.
- The remainder of their stay passed without distressing incidents.
- The decisive No vote among the younger generation was distressing.
- [as submodifier]: the pattern was distressingly familiarMore example sentences
- Political conventions have become distressingly routine and disturbingly predictable.
- This was the most distressingly unpleasant and humiliating experience of my life that didn't involve medical staff.
- More distressingly the chemotherapy made her give off a particularly unpleasant odour.