noun (plural distributaries)
- A branch of a river that does not return to the main stream after leaving it (as in a delta).More example sentences
- The water mass consists of tiny hilly streams, winding seasonal creeks, muddy canals, some truly magnificent rivers and their tributaries and distributaries.
- The seven forests are on old levee ridges associated with past distributaries of the Mississippi River.
- It is the artery that provides life itself, as do its tributaries and distributaries, whether irrigation systems or natural deltas.
More definitions of distributaryDefinition of distributary in:
- The US English dictionary