- 1The action of sharing something out among a number of recipients: the government released about 74,000 tonnes of rice for distribution among people affected by the cyclone [count noun]: unequal distributions of income and wealthMore example sentences
giving out, dealing out, handing out/round, issue, issuing, issuance, dispensation, administering, administration, passing round, doling out; allocation, allotment, apportioning, apportionment, assigning, assignment, sharing out, dividing up/out, division, measuring out, meting out, parcelling out, rationing out
- Glencore's 2,000 employees share in regular distributions of its profits.
- What happened was that the shares were sold and then the distributions were paid out of the realised profits.
- In other words, the trustees have the discretion to make distributions, but haven't done so for years.
- 1.1The action or process of supplying goods to retailers: a manager has the choice of four types of distribution [as modifier]: an established distribution channelMore example sentences
- If the distribution channel is selected incorrectly, the brand will decline rapidly.
- Whirlpool gets a new distribution channel for its appliances and a cut of the tuition.
- Another challenge is the loose grip on the major distribution channel in the market.
- 1.2 Bridge The different number of cards of each suit in a player’s hand: strength has two ingredients, high cards and distributionMore example sentences
- Any hint as to the distribution of the cards (such as an offer to give up), is punished by immediate loss of the game.
- For his claim was a claim about the inevitable sequence of events with that distribution of cards.
- 2The way in which something is shared out among a group or spread over an area: changes undergone by the area have affected the distribution of its wildlifeMore example sentences
- She also said weight distribution made a difference, as characterised by apple and pear-shaped bodies.
- We corrected death rates for differences in age distribution and sex.
- One of these differences is the distribution and quantity of acidic and basic residues.
- More example sentences
- The distributional and equity issues were ignored.
- The problem here is that because of the absence of well-defined property rights, the issue is a distributional one.
- We had helicopters in stand-by but reached the marooned villages in boats because distributional efficiency is higher.
late Middle English: from Latin distributio(n-), from the verb distribuere (see distribute).