Any of a group of terpenes found in plant gums and resins, having unsaturated molecules based on a unit with the formula C20H32.
More example sentences
- The active biochemical constituents are called guggulsterones, which contain diterpenes, sterols, esters and fatty alcohols.
- In conifers, for example, the diterpene content of resin has a direct influence on the rate of resin crystallization.
- Correlations among all sesquiterpenes and among all diterpenes were also significant and positive for yellow-cedars (except for one minor diterpene).
diterpenoid adjective& noun
- More example sentences
- They contain the highly toxic C19 diterpenoid alkaloids of aconitine, mesaconitine and hypaconitine.
- Many conifers produce oleoresin, a complex mixture of mono-, sesqui- and diterpenoids.
- Some specialist sawfly adults sequester diterpenoids for protection against predatory birds and lizards.