Definition of diterpene in English:
Any of a group of terpenes found in plant gums and resins, having unsaturated molecules based on a unit with the formula C20H32.
- The active biochemical constituents are called guggulsterones, which contain diterpenes, sterols, esters and fatty alcohols.
- In conifers, for example, the diterpene content of resin has a direct influence on the rate of resin crystallization.
- Correlations among all sesquiterpenes and among all diterpenes were also significant and positive for yellow-cedars (except for one minor diterpene).
diterpenoid adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- They contain the highly toxic C19 diterpenoid alkaloids of aconitine, mesaconitine and hypaconitine.
- Many conifers produce oleoresin, a complex mixture of mono-, sesqui- and diterpenoids.
- Some specialist sawfly adults sequester diterpenoids for protection against predatory birds and lizards.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia