Definition of dittography in English:
noun (plural dittographies)
A mistaken repetition of a letter, word, or phrase by a copyist.
- Examples of the second type are treatments on dittography, haplography, harmonization, and itacisms.
- It has therefore been left out as a possible dittography, but certainly not translateable.
- Haplography is writing once what should be written twice, such as defendum rather than defendendum, and dittography is the opposite.
- Example sentences
- In that case, the final nun is virtually dittographic with the vav that appears at the beginning of the following word.
- His close observations of dittographic tendencies and carving mistakes do suggest the participation of rushed or less skilled carvers.
- Our great scholars have never forgotten their Isaian dittographic dictum.
Definition of dittography in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.