noun (plural ditties)
- A short, simple song: a lovely little music-hall dittyMore example sentences
- After a couple of songs the members sang ditties from the latest movies.
- The repertoire includes military marches, old Japanese ditties, songs from kabuki theaters or yose variety theaters, and sometimes jazz.
- Despite these efforts to rely on wall-to-wall ditties, psalmodic chant still figures prominently in the Weekday liturgy.
Middle English: from Old French dite 'composition', from Latin dictatum (neuter) 'something dictated', from dictare 'to dictate'.
More definitions of dittyDefinition of ditty in:
- The US English dictionary