- (Chiefly of drugs) causing increased passing of urine.More example sentences
- It may be necessary to increase the diuretic dosage, decrease the beta-blocker dosage or discontinue the beta blocker.
- You have to be brave, silly or very determined to go out shopping shortly after you've taken your daily dose of diuretic pills.
- It supports natural diuretic action, but does not force water from the body like diuretic pills.
nounBack to top
- A diuretic drug.More example sentences
- ACE inhibitors may be a preferred second drug to add to diuretics if necessary to achieve blood pressure control.
- Patients with atrial fibrillation also had more drug days for diuretics and for electrolytes.
- The mean blood pressure readings were the same for the diuretics and the newer drugs.
late Middle English: from Old French diuretique, or via late Latin from Greek diourētikos, from diourein 'urinate', from dia 'through' + ouron 'urine'.
More definitions of diureticDefinition of diuretic in:
- The US English dictionary