1The process or state of diverging: the divergence between primates and other groups
More example sentences
- The Isler-Brumfield papers provide yet another window into the processes that influence divergence.
- The evolutionary process of this divergence, however, is not well understood.
- Personally, I think that the two pendulums, convergence and divergence will continue to swing.
separation, dividing, parting, forking, branching;
1.1 [count noun] A difference in opinions, interests, etc. a fundamental divergence of attitude
More example sentences
- In any relationship there is a divergence of opinion, a variety of vested interests, different beliefs and values.
- This divergence of interests is manageable, but it is also fundamental.
- This line ignores the fundamental divergences between US and Indian interests.
difference, dissimilarity, variance, polarity, disparity, contrast;
disagreement, discrepancy, incompatibility, mismatch, conflict, clash
rare unlikeness, dissimilitude
deviation, digression, departure, shift, drift, drifting, straying, deflection, wandering, moving away;
variation, change, alteration
1.2 [count noun] A place where airflows or ocean currents diverge, typically marked by downwelling (of air) or upwelling (of water).
- Atmospheric divergence typically occurs where airflow is moving away from the centre of a pressure system.
- Of course, for any flow we might induce in water, with pipes or otherwise, the total divergence will always be exactly zero.
- This is a negative divergence, and the point is capturing flux, like water going down a sink.
2 Mathematics The scalar product of the operator del and a given vector, which gives a measure of the quantity of flux emanating from any point of the vector field or the rate of loss of mass, heat, etc., from it.
- Our example here is technical in nature, but some traders use a P / E ratio or other fundamental factors to measure correlation and divergence.
- With a constant rate, divergence time estimation is straightforward.
- A more accurate estimate of the speed of divergence can be made using the following more modern proof.
Words that rhyme with divergenceconvergence, emergence, insurgence, resurgence, submergence
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: di|ver¦gence
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.