- 1The process or state of diverging: the divergence between primates and other groupsMore example sentences
- The Isler-Brumfield papers provide yet another window into the processes that influence divergence.
- The evolutionary process of this divergence, however, is not well understood.
- Personally, I think that the two pendulums, convergence and divergence will continue to swing.
- 1.1 [count noun] A difference in opinions, interests, etc.: a fundamental divergence of attitudeMore example sentences
difference, dissimilarity, variance, polarity, disparity, contrast; disagreement, discrepancy, incompatibility, mismatch, conflict, clashdeviation, digression, departure, shift, drift, drifting, straying, deflection, wandering, moving away; variation, change, alteration• rare divagation
- In any relationship there is a divergence of opinion, a variety of vested interests, different beliefs and values.
- This divergence of interests is manageable, but it is also fundamental.
- This line ignores the fundamental divergences between US and Indian interests.
- 1.2 [count noun] A place where airflows or ocean currents diverge, typically marked by downwelling (of air) or upwelling (of water).More example sentences
- Atmospheric divergence typically occurs where airflow is moving away from the centre of a pressure system.
- Of course, for any flow we might induce in water, with pipes or otherwise, the total divergence will always be exactly zero.
- This is a negative divergence, and the point is capturing flux, like water going down a sink.
- 2 Mathematics The scalar product of the operator del and a given vector, which gives a measure of the quantity of flux emanating from any point of the vector field or the rate of loss of mass, heat, etc., from it.More example sentences
- Our example here is technical in nature, but some traders use a P / E ratio or other fundamental factors to measure correlation and divergence.
- With a constant rate, divergence time estimation is straightforward.
- A more accurate estimate of the speed of divergence can be made using the following more modern proof.