Definition of do-si-do in English:
noun (plural do-si-dos)
(In country dancing) a figure in which two dancers pass round each other back to back and return to their original positions.
- Not only will we not be cheek-to-cheek, you will not get so much as a do-si-do.
- If the articles do not reveal awareness of relevant prior work, then they are unlikely to constitute a step forward in our scholarly do-si-do.
- With a half-dozen pupils in the field, he's constantly being passed, do-si-do, from partner to partner on the range.
verb[no object] Back to top
Dance a do-si-do: a hundred flushed women were do-si-doing to the music
More example sentences
- More than 500 children from the borough's primary schools do-si-doed to their hearts' content at the annual folk dance festival last Wednesday.
- At last, she spoke, as they do-si-doed and began to weave in and out with the other couples.
- They were avid square-dancers, often do-si-doing with fellow church members.
1920s (originally US): alteration of dos-à-dos.
Words that rhyme with do-si-doaglow, ago, alow, although, apropos, art nouveau, Bamako, Bardot, beau, Beaujolais Nouveau, below, bestow, blow, bo, Boileau, bons mots, Bordeaux, Bow, bravo, bro, cachepot, cheerio, Coe, crow, Defoe, de trop, doe, doh, dos-à-dos, dough, dzo, Flo, floe, flow, foe, foreknow, foreshow, forgo, Foucault, froe, glow, go, good-oh, go-slow, grow, gung-ho, Heathrow, heave-ho, heigh-ho, hello, ho, hoe, ho-ho, jo, Joe, kayo, know, lo, low, maillot, malapropos, Marceau, mho, Miró, mo, Mohs, Monroe, mot, mow, Munro, no, Noh, no-show, oh, oho, outgo, outgrow, owe, Perrault, pho, po, Poe, pro, quid pro quo, reshow, righto, roe, Rouault, row, Rowe, sew, shew, show, sloe, slow, snow, so, soh, sow, status quo, stow, Stowe, strow, tally-ho, though, throw, tic-tac-toe, to-and-fro, toe, touch-and-go, tow, trow, undergo, undersow, voe, whacko, whoa, wo, woe, Xuzhou, yo, yo-ho-ho, Zhengzhou, Zhou
Definition of do-si-do in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.