Definition of docent in English:
1(In certain US and European universities and colleges) a member of the teaching staff immediately below professorial rank.
- After leaving Italy in 1922, Cech wrote his habilitation thesis, becoming a docent at the Charles University of Prague.
- In 1920 he returned to St Petersburg to two posts, one as professor at the Polytechnic Institute, and the other as docent at the university.
- Mellin was appointed as a docent at the University of Stockholm from 1884-91 but never actually gave any lectures.
2A person who acts as a guide, typically on a voluntary basis, in a museum, art gallery, or zoo.
- Museum docents, who will be musicians, will guide school groups through the museum, bringing history alive through performances, storytelling and interactive exhibits.
- Today we were the lucky recipients of a private tour, a gift from our friend G. who volunteers at the museum as a docent.
- Tour guides/docents will help us explore the emotional, aesthetic and spiritual impact of art in the largest urban sculpture garden in the U.S.
Late 19th century: via German from Latin docent- 'teaching', from docere 'teach'.
Definition of docent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.