- Indeed, this latter focus is an indispensable safeguard against the oldest and most enduring Christological heresy, Docetism: a Jesus removed from the travails of the flesh and the tragedies of history.
- Try explaining the soteriological danger of Docetism to your pewmate this Sunday and you'll see what I mean.
- Rome is more likely to inquire into the orthodoxy of theologians who work with a Christology from below than into the possible Docetism of theologians who follow a Christology from above.
- Example sentences
- The Docetists and their immoral practices are everywhere, honeycombing and corrupting the churches.
- Salvation, according to Docetists is a matter of coming to know the gnosis, the higher truth.
- Once you see that creation is not innately evil, then the other issue for Docetists is no longer a problem.
Mid 19th century: from medieval Latin Docetae (the name, based on Greek dokein 'seem', given to a group of 2nd-century Christian heretics) + -ism.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Do¦cet|ism
Definition of Docetism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.