- A person who prevents others from having or using things even though he or she does not need them: [as modifier]: your cold, grudging, dog-in-the-manger sort[alluding to the fable of the dog that lay in a manger to prevent the ox and horse from eating the hay]More example sentences
- Still, I suppose you can't prevent progress, and I shouldn't be a dog in the manger.
- No sooner had the Finance Minister announced the decentralisation plan in his latest Budget than the begrudgers in Dublin were adopting a dog-in-the-manger attitude.
- However, the ECB has maintained its dog-in-the-manger stance on inflation currently 0.2% above the official target rate of 0.2%.
More definitions of dog in the mangerDefinition of dog in the manger in:
- The US English dictionary