Definition of dog whistle in English:
1A high-pitched whistle used to train dogs, typically having a sound inaudible to humans.
- He kept blowing a dog whistle in a fruitless attempt to coax Molly out.
- Similar in concept to a dog whistle, it alters the report to an ultrasonic pitch the human ear cannot detect.
- You could even order bird warblers and dog whistles.
1.1 [usually as modifier] A subtly aimed political message which is intended for, and can only be understood by, a particular demographic group: dog-whistle issues such as immigration and crime
More example sentences
- Equality of opportunity is the leftwing equivalent of a dog-whistle issue.
- The net also plays into the Tories' hands by facilitating the 'dog-whistle' campaigning at which he has become increasingly adept.
- Thatcher's was true dog-whistle politics, a subtle signal rather than the main message.
Definition of dog whistle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.