Definition of dogfish in English:
noun (plural same or dogfishes)
1A small sand-coloured bottom-dwelling shark with a long tail, common on European coasts. Also called rough hound, sandy dog.
- Scyliorhinus canicula, family Scyliorhinidae
- Eleven of these are of the shark variety, who live in blissful harmony with stingrays, thornback rays, conger eels and dogfish, to name but a few.
- Lesser spotted dogfish are amongst the most common bottom dwelling fish in many areas and can be a real nuisance when trying to catch more desirable species.
- In some areas small skates and dogfish (a small shark species) appear to have taken over the cod's niche in the ecosystem.
2 [with modifier] A small shark that resembles or is related to the dogfish, sometimes caught for food.
- Several genera in the families Scyliorhinidae, Squalidae, and Triakidae
- Among the smallest shark species is the deepwater dogfish shark.
- In particular, the isolation of separate bullfrog and dogfish shark gastrin- and CCKlike peptides suggests that gastrin evolved much earlier than originally hypothesized.
- Further work is needed to establish whether the homologous CCK and gastrin act as separate peptides in dogfish sharks.
Words that rhyme with dogfishcodfish • rockfish • crawfish
Definition of dogfish in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.