(also chiefly North American dog-paddle)
Definition of doggy-paddle in English:
An elementary swimming stroke in which the swimmer beats at the water with the hands in a manner resembling a swimming dog.
- He wasn't such a great swimmer, about his only move was the doggy-paddle.
- Only being equipped with basic knowledge of the doggy-paddle, Del didn't dare test her swimming strength in water that exceeded her height.
verb[no object] Back to top
Swim using doggy-paddle.
- She had seen her friend doggy-paddling and thought she heard her call for help.
- I doubt I'll be doing any synchronised swimming moves by then, but I should be able to doggy-paddle my way round the pool.
- I jumped in without a thought after her, even though I hardly knew how to doggy-paddle.
Definition of doggy-paddle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia