1A shrub or small tree of north temperate regions, which yields hard timber and is grown for its decorative foliage, red stems, or colourful berries.
- Genus Cornus, family Cornaceae: many species
More example sentences
- If you are growing your willows and dogwoods for their colourful winter stems, cut them hard back now.
- Annual climbers such as sweet peas can be supported by a wigwam made from bamboo or by twiggy prunings taken from coloured stemmed dogwoods and other shrubs cut back in March.
- This dogwood is grown for both its foliage and coloured stems and because of this, doesn't necessarily have to be cut back as hard as species grown simply for their winter stems.
so named because the wood was formerly used to make ‘dogs’ (i.e. skewers).
More definitions of dogwoodDefinition of dogwood in:
- The US English dictionary