Definition of doing in English:
1 (usually doings) The activities in which a particular person engages: the latest doings of television stars
More example sentences
- While the doings of ‘private contractors’ still pop up in articles about prisoner abuse, what such mercenary outfits are up to on the home front is hardly ever mentioned.
- Governments should not grant marriage licenses, or otherwise keep record of their citizens' private doings.
- Well, it's wonderful the way in which the doings of American royalty are getting mixed on the show with those of British royalty.
performance, performing, carrying out, effecting, execution, implementation, implementing, bringing off, discharge, discharging, achievement, accomplishment, realization, completion, completing
informal pulling off
exploit, activity, act, action, undertaking, deed, feat, endeavour, work, venture, enterprise, achievement, accomplishment;
(doings)performance, behaviour, conduct;
2 (doings) [treated as singular or plural] informal Used to refer to things when one has forgotten their name or when no one word easily covers them: the drawer where he kept the doings
be someone's doing
- Be the creation or fault of the person named: he looked at Lisa as though it was all her doingMore example sentences
- Carving them had been her brilliant idea, but the practical aspect as well as the definite creation had been my doing.
- I know you are wondering why your middle name is Sophie and you were told that was Julian's doing.
- The second and third times were her doing, so I can hardly regret those.
take some doing
- Be difficult to achieve: it would take some doing to calm him downMore example sentences
- The reopening was achieved, which took some doing, and the infrastructure has been improved.
- ‘There were no pictures there that our mainstream audience could find offensive, which took some doing,’ he says.
- This took some doing, I don't mind saying, as there were three of us who ‘shared’ the computer.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan