Definition of dollar in English:
- Does this mean oil prices haven't risen as dramatically in pounds or euros as in dollars?
- I don't care if this investment comes by way of the dollar, the euro or the yen.
- My view is that the pound moves more closely with the dollar than with the euro.
from early Flemish or Low German daler, from German T(h)aler, short for Joachimsthaler, a coin from the silver mine of Joachimsthal ( 'Joachim's valley'), now Jáchymov in the Czech Republic. The term was later applied to a coin used in the Spanish-American colonies, which was also widely used in the British North American colonies at the time of the American War of Independence, hence adopted as the name of the US monetary unit in the late 18th century.
dollars to doughnuts
- North American informal Used to emphasize one’s certainty: I’d bet dollars to doughnuts he’s a medical studentMore example sentences
- I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that we are going to see a pick-up in employment in 2004.
- I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that they had more fun along the way.
- He'll use nicer-sounding words, but dollars to donuts that will be the message.
Definition of dollar in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.