Definition of dolomite in English:
1A translucent mineral consisting of a carbonate of calcium and magnesium, usually also containing iron.
- Vein minerals are aragonite, barite, calcite, dolomite, quartz, sphalerite, and whewellite.
- Vein minerals are ferroan dolomite, barite, calcite, pyrite, and quartz.
- Red chalcedony-lined geodes were prevalent at one time, their inclusions typically being quartz, calcite, ferroan dolomite, and iron sulfide microcrystals.
1.1A sedimentary rock formed chiefly of dolomite.
- In the Mesozoic, and into the Paleocene, limestone and dolomite interbedded with shale, clay and anhydrite prevailed in a more restricted, shallow marine to lagoonal environment.
- The host rocks for these deposits include limestone and dolomite that have undergone dissolution by low-temperature fluids, either before or during the mineralizing event.
- Polyphase deformation accompanied metamorphism of the original sediments, that were probably dolomite, shales and siltstones.
- Example sentences
- The Barton Creek dolomite is in fact a dolomitic limestone, strongly recrystallized.
- If considered irrespective of depth, limestones and dolomitic limestones are more porous than dolostones, whereas at burial depths of greater than 2000 m dolostones are significantly more porous and permeable than limestones.
- The cavity was in relatively dense dolomitic limestone, suggesting that recovery of undamaged specimens could present a problem.
Definition of dolomite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan