- To address this, more work needs to be done in assessing the training needs of health professionals in relation to domestic violence.
- This re-organization is having a profound effect on social relations and domestic arrangements in the main family entertainment room.
- An expert believes family doctors can play an important role in helping resolve various family problems, including domestic violence.
- It has also developed materials for the steel industry, office machinery, domestic appliances, industrial safety, sports surfaces and car components.
- For a while the government banned all use of the waters for industrial and domestic purposes.
- She owes an awful lot to domestic appliances - or rather, the lack of them.
- Now, the centre is home to a whole range of animals, including domestic pets like cats and dogs.
- Common around outlying human settlements, the bobcat will sometimes take small farm animals including domestic cats if easily accessible.
- We cannot just go in there without any notice at all and spray children, domestic pets, and animals such as horses.
- If a man wipes his feet on the door mat before coming into the room, you may be sure he will make a good domestic husband.
- My mother was a domestic goddess in every household art except culinary.
- I can't wait to have a family and I'm very domestic.
- The bright-line separation between foreign and domestic affairs has proven to be problematic.
- This is just as true in all areas of domestic affairs as in foreign policies.
- Not recommended for the beginner investor, these are bonds issued in foreign markets by domestic companies.
- Nor were we happy with how some of the churches educated, when they seemed to train the young primarily for menial pursuits such as domestics.
- One revealing factor is that the care of elderly people typically appeared as one of many household tasks carried out by domestic workers.
- The vast majority of paid and unpaid domestic workers are women.
- You get the odd one in other parts of the country, and they often turn out to be domestics.
- I really wish my neighbors would stop having their domestics in the backyard.
- Because of the unpredictably the two most dangerous incidents police could attend were domestics and stopping vehicles, he said.
Late Middle English: from French domestique, from Latin domesticus, from domus 'house'.
dome from early 16th century:
Latin domus ‘house’ entered English directly as dome in the 16th century in the sense ‘a stately building’; it also passed through Italian duomo and French dôme to enter English for a second time as dome ‘a rounded vault’ in the mid 17th century. Domus is also found in domestic (Late Middle English) ‘relating to the house’ and in domicile (Late Middle English) ‘home’.
Words that rhyme with domesticmajestic
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: do|mes¦tic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.