Definition of doo-wop in English:
A style of pop music marked by the use of close harmony vocals using nonsense phrases, originating in the US in the 1950s.
- This is the high peak of their doo-wop, with tricky little rhythms on the falsetto lead line and some extremely beautiful lyrics that seem to go beyond high school puppy love into something more universal.
- Jump blues, country, gospel, western swing and pop - forget stereotypes, primal rock was more than just doo-wop and rockabilly.
- These audio jump cuts and sudden changes in ambience were also reflected in the music, as doo-wop, pop songs, political commentary, fuzz guitar rock and cocktail jazz all piled up on each other.
- Example sentences
- It wasn't just the doo-woppers who padded or enriched their repertoire with pop oldies.
- This album is out of print as the doo-woppers are currently in the studio getting ready to release a new album.
- The only confusing aspect of this version of the play was trying to establish early on what part the doo-woppers played in the production.
Definition of doo-wop in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan