Definition of doomsayer in English:
nounchiefly North American
A person who predicts disaster.
- Perhaps you have already heard some doomsayers predict that a worldwide catastrophe will befall our planet on either April 6 or May 5 when some of the planets will be in alignment.
- Will the upcoming planetary conjunction affect Earth, bringing about volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, and floods, as today's doomsayers predict?
- And, yet, at every step we had countless doomsayers who predicted that this or that step would not be taken because of ‘security problems.’
- Example sentences
- He lords this over her, berating her for every little slip-up, belittling even her successful activities and doomsaying any new ideas that she comes up with.
- This tract does much more than repeat the standard doomsaying one normally expects from those who support it.
- Their endless doomsaying can grow tiresome but more often it's fun to play along.
Definition of doomsayer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India