Definition of doomsday in English:
1The last day of the world’s existence: Bede believed that the time of doomsday is concealed from mankind
More example sentences
- But those doomsdays were the product of faith; reason always used to say the world will continue.
- And if this situation is allowed to continue, it won't be long before the aggressive human species are the only creatures on the planet and surely that will be the doomsday of planet Earth.
- Global warming, they have been telling us for years, will prove to be man's undoing, man creating his own doomsday.
1.1(In religious belief) the day of the Last Judgement.
- After the first long sermon preaches a doomsday envisionment of religion, where a vindictive God has nothing but wrath for sinners, he is sure that every word was aimed at him.
- Twain sometimes thought of himself as a modern Noah warning of a doomsday to come.
- Many of them lead to mass suicides of some kind with members killing themselves based on their doomsday beliefs.
1.2A time or event of crisis or great danger: [as modifier]: in all the concern over greenhouse warming, one doomsday scenario stands out
More example sentences
- He further contended that this talk of 20,000 extra vehicles was only in the event of a doomsday scenario and was not practical.
- People feel their confidence boosted by that event; it's the experience of hearing a doomsday scenario and finding out it wasn't so bad.
- A newly discovered asteroid has zero chance of colliding with Earth in 11 years, although preliminary data had suggested such a doomsday scenario was possible, astronomers said this week.
- till doomsday
- informal Forever: we’ll be here till doomsday if you go blethering onMore example sentences
- But I mean, again, we could be speculating from now until doomsday, but there are people who know and it would be appropriate for them to reveal to the world what's going on.
- We may sing songs about the sweet by and by, preach sermons and say prayers until doomsday, and he will never concern himself about us, if we don't wake anybody up.
- If you reply to him, you will get another ‘nice’ letter and another and another, until doomsday or until he figures out your address and shows up on your doorstep.
Words that rhyme with doomsdayDomesday
Definition of doomsday in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.