noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
A compound which is present in nervous tissue as a precursor of dopamine, used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease. See also l-dopa.
- An amino acid; alternative name: dihydroxyphenylalanine; chemical formula: C9H11NO4
More example sentences
- The addition of norepinephrine, epinephrine, dopamine, and dopa to the cultures of E. coli resulted in increased growth when compared to non-catecholamine-supplemented control cultures.
- He was able to reverse this effect by giving the animals dopa, the amino acid precursor for dopamine.
- They have measured the second-order electron transfer rate constants for reactions of dopa and c-dopa melanins with various radicals.
early 20th century: from German, acronym from the systematic name.
Definition of dopa in:
- The US English dictionary