Definition of dormant in English:
1(Of an animal) having normal physical functions suspended or slowed down for a period of time; in or as if in a deep sleep: dormant butterflies figurative the event evoked memories that she would rather had lain dormant
More example sentences
- For decades the old garden had lain dormant and almost forgotten as many others of that period often do.
- The case had been long dormant for years.
- Your true ancestry did not disappear, though it lay dormant for many years.
1.1(Of a plant or bud) alive but not actively growing.
- The following method can be used to determine if dormant wheat plants are alive and likely to resume active growth in the spring.
- Following dispersal from the parent plant, seeds are dormant.
- So long as those auxin signals move out from the growing tips, few - if any - of the dormant buds on the plant will open up and begin to grow.
1.2(Of a volcano) temporarily inactive.
- Running down each side of the valley are mountain peaks dotted with dormant volcanoes.
- Fuji is a Japan's highest mountain with a dormant volcano, which most recently erupted in 1708.
- It's there in the white-clad high priest presiding in the temple at the summit of a dormant volcano.
1.3(Of a disease) causing no symptoms but not cured and liable to recur: the disease may remain dormant and undetected until transmitted to other fish
More example sentences
- However, some time is required to treat dormant diseases such as chronic asthma and diabetes.
- "Renal disease tends to lie dormant and often symptoms don't become apparent until it's too late, " he warned.
- Diabetes mellitus, chronic renal failure and cirrhosis of the liver seem to predispose the activation to disease of the otherwise dormant latent infection.
- Example sentences
- An old and unconquered fear murmurs and shifts in its sleep, and I'm tiptoeing round it for fear of rousing it from dormancy.
- The holly bush is said to be considered a symbol of the continuation of life because it remains green during winter dormancy.
- It is important to provide a fertile, well-drained, neutral to alkaline soil, a sunny site and a cold period of dormancy.
Words that rhyme with dormantinformant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan