adjectiveAnatomy , Zoology , & Botany
On or relating to the upper side or back of an animal, plant, or organ: a dorsal view of the body the dorsal aorta Compare with ventral.
More example sentences
- Just outside each vertebra, the dorsal and ventral roots unite to form a spinal nerve on each side.
- Such a wasp held the fly with the middle and hind legs head forward and ventral or dorsal side up.
- If either of these proteins is absent, then the motor axons select dorsal and ventral pathways randomly.
- Example sentences
- In insects, as in all arthropods, the main nerve cord lies ventrally, rather than dorsally as in vertebrates.
- During the surgery, care must be taken to protect the branches of the superficial and radial nerves that dorsally overlie the first dorsal compartment.
- This animal swims to escape predators by repeatedly flexing its body dorsally and ventrally.
Words that rhyme with dorsalmorsel
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dor¦sal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.