- 1 (dote on/upon) Be extremely and uncritically fond of: she doted on her two young childrenMore example sentences
adore, love dearly, be devoted to, idolize, treasure, cherish, lavish affection on, worship, think very highly of, appreciate greatly, admire, hold dear, prize; indulge, spoil, pamperadoring, loving, amorous, besotted, infatuated, lovesick, passionate; affectionate, fond, devoted, solicitous, caring, tender, warm, warm-hearted; overindulgent, indulgent
- He is a 42-year-old father who dotes on his three children.
- He was not my son Joshua's biological father but he doted on him and treated Joshua like his own son.
- He appeared to be a father who doted on his children, especially his little girl.
nounIrish • informal Back to top
- A sweet or adorable person: he’s gorgeous and the twins are dotesMore example sentences
- One grieving friend described him as ‘a pure dote.’
- They are not yet completely tame but a little love and patience would transform them into two dotes.
- He's an absolute dote and he got to know all of the Roses really well.
Middle English (in the sense 'act or talk foolishly'): of uncertain origin; related to Middle Dutch doten 'be silly'.