noun (plural same or dotterels)
1A small plover with a brown streaked back and a chestnut or buff belly with black below, breeding in mountainous areas and in the tundra.
- Genus Eudromias, family Charadriidae: two species.
- The report highlights the plight of 20 species, including the song thrush, the corncrake, the crossbill, the capercaillie, the dotterel and black grouse.
- Overgrazing on upland pastures is causing the decline of native species including skylarks, curlews and dotterels.
- On the other hand, species like the dotterel and snow bunting look set to head northwards, leaving British shores for colder climes.
1.1 [with modifier] Australian /NZ Any small plover, especially one of the genus Charadrius.
- He told me with great delight that two dotterels and their chick were further up the beach.
- I saw three dotterels the other weekend.
- The decline of the New Zealand dotterel is due to several factors, but in particular, introduced predators such as cats, stoats and ferrets.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dot|terel
Definition of dotterel in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.