Definition of dotterel in English:
noun (plural same or dotterels)
1A small plover with a brown streaked back and a chestnut or buff belly with black below, breeding in mountainous areas and in the tundra.
- Genus Eudromias, family Charadriidae: two species
- The report highlights the plight of 20 species, including the song thrush, the corncrake, the crossbill, the capercaillie, the dotterel and black grouse.
- Overgrazing on upland pastures is causing the decline of native species including skylarks, curlews and dotterels.
- On the other hand, species like the dotterel and snow bunting look set to head northwards, leaving British shores for colder climes.
1.1 [with modifier] Australian /NZ Any small plover, especially one of the genus Charadrius.
- He told me with great delight that two dotterels and their chick were further up the beach.
- I saw three dotterels the other weekend.
- The decline of the New Zealand dotterel is due to several factors, but in particular, introduced predators such as cats, stoats and ferrets.
Words that rhyme with dotterelrostral
Definition of dotterel in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India