- 1British • informal Language that is impossible to understand; gibberish: instructions written in double DutchMore example sentences
- The rules are as follows: whoever leaves first is a twat, too stupid to realise that you're not a real moviegoer unless you stay for the credits, whether they be in Cantonese or double Dutch.
- To most readers these names are double Dutch, but don't ignore the trend.
- Hazel danced up to the viewing platform, forgetting she didn't have a mathematical mind, and that it would all be double Dutch to her.
- 2North American A jumping game played with two skipping ropes swung in opposite directions so that they cross rhythmically.More example sentences
- It was a time when racial discrimination wasn't as subtle, when Motown music filled the air, when young girls jumped double Dutch, ate Squirrel Nuts and Brown Cow candies and washed down the sticky sweets with NEHI sodas.
- I used to jump double Dutch when I was your age.
- We were 8 or 9 at the time, and when not jumping double Dutch or playing beauty parlor, Valeria and I would spend hours on the stoop of my family's Brooklyn brownstone swapping elaborate stories about Larry.
More definitions of double DutchDefinition of double Dutch in:
- The US English dictionary