Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of double date in English:
A social outing in which two couples participate.
- His eyes flashed from me to Ryan then to Danielle, ‘Mitchell dragged me along on another double date.’
- Whenever Ashley is in New York and me too, we can schedule another double date like this.
- It was supposed to be a double date, but the couple that they had come with wanted to have their own table, so now here Greg was, getting to have his first one on one dinner date with the girl of his dreams.
verb[no object] (double-date) Back to top
1Take part in a double date.
- In high school we double-dated, built snow caves, climbed the local crags.
- They double-date, drink, work out their romantic pitfalls, and have a good time.
- Remember that for every boy she snags, he's got a whole crew of friends who can double-date with you.
1.1 [with object] Accompany (someone) on a double date.
- We were great friends and were notorious for double-dating women and going paintballing together.
- A friend of mine came with me and we double dated her and her friend.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.