Definition of double fault in English:
An instance of two consecutive faults in serving, counting as a point against the server.
- The Frenchman serves two consecutive double faults before sending an attempted lob clear of the baseline.
- She admitted to being a little rusty, which showed in several double faults and foot faults.
- The British No 2, now up to No 98 in the rankings, was not disturbed by 12 double faults in the match.
verbBack to top
(double-fault) [no object] Serve a double fault: she double-faulted on the final point
More example sentences
- Rafter started the brighter and broke serve when Agassi double-faulted, holding out to take the first set.
- But Enqvist stormed back to tie it, only to double-fault on his last serve before Agassi hit a backhand cross-court winner to end the first set.
- Last year, when she double-faulted at break point in the Wimbledon final against her sister, there were dark rumours that it had been decreed as Serena's year.
Definition of double fault in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan