Definition of double-stopping in English:
The sounding of two strings at once on a violin or similar bowed instrument.
- Every technical trick in the repertoire of the virtuoso string player was on display: double-stopping, flying spiccato, glissandi, glissandi harmonics, rapid string crossing arpeggios and more.
- This is an excellent performance though, with soaring lines and some impressive double-stopping, especially in the Kochanski cadenza, and Daniel Harding and the LSO draw lots of detail from the vivid, colourful score.
- He makes his oboe seem capable of double-stopping; the separate, aquatic or breathing voices of Narcissus are so well defined and independent [listen - track 5, 0: 00-1: 25].
double stop noun
- Example sentences
- Ravel's Tzigane - Rhapsodie de Concert is a dazzling display piece that encompasses double stops, harmonics, pizzicatos, glissandos, and all the technical challenges of Paganini's twenty four Violin Caprices, plus a few more.
- This collection of Italian waltzes, polkas, mazurkas and tarantellas for solo violin is an excellent teaching tool for double stops, scales, arpeggios and style. 2-5 min. each.
- In the violin version, he writes double stops, pizzicato and tremolo indications and so forth, keeping with the capabilities of the violin.
Definition of double-stopping in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan