Definition of doublet in English:
1A pair of similar things, in particular two words of the same derivation but having different meanings, for example fashion and faction, cloak and clock.
- Carroll called the given words doublets, the interposed words links, and the complete series a chain.
- For those not etymologically challenged, the word canker is a doublet.
- Etymologically speaking, a doublet is a pair of words that have the same origin but different spellings and often different meanings.
1.2 Physics & Chemistry A pair of associated lines close together in a spectrum or electrophoretic gel.
- These studies have led to the findings that bundles of several doublet microtubules can propagate bending waves, and a pair of outer doublets can undergo cyclical association/dissociation interaction.
- Whereas the effect of the redshift is to multiply the wavelength of every line in the spectrum by the name number, 1 + z, any variation in only changes the relative separation between the lines in the doublet.
- The mechanism by which the oscillatory movements produced by these two opposing pairs of doublets are coupled with each other remains to be elucidated.
2A man’s short close-fitting padded jacket, commonly worn from the 14th to the 17th century: they were wearing red velvet doublets and hose
More example sentences
- Indicators of this are the short doublet and very prominent codpiece, the round-toed shoes and the knee-breeches.
- It represents a bagpiper wearing a short doublet, full, knee-length breeches with a prominent codpiece, shoes with narrow rounded toes, and a hemispherical, skullcap-like hat with a very narrow brim.
- The minstrels, bedecked in red doublets and white hose, played upbeat tunes to which gardens of brightly clad nobles danced merrily.
Middle English: from Old French, 'something folded', also denoting a fur-lined coat, from double 'double'.
Words that rhyme with doubletfloodlit
Definition of doublet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan